Family-Based Immigration

For spouses and minor children of United States citizens, immediate family immigration is the best option to becoming a U.S. immigrant. But what about those family members who are not immediate family? What if the person seeking to bring his or her family over is a legal resident and not a citizen?

At the Law Offices of Stephen Santucci, PC, we help clients to answer those questions. The U.S. does have other types of family-based immigration opportunities. These are known as preference-based family immigrations. If you have questions about applying to bring a loved one into the country or with getting an adjustment of status for a loved one already in the country on, contact our New York and Philadelphia firm for assistance.

What is Preference-Based Family Immigration?

Family immigrations allow citizens or legal residents to obtain a "green card" or legal resident status for family members. For those who cannot qualify as immediate family members, they still may fall into one of the four areas of preference for family-based immigration:

  • Family: First Preference — For unmarried persons, at least 21 years of age, who have at least one U.S. citizen parent. Subject to quotas.
  • Family: Second Preference — For spouses and unmarried children under 21 years old of "green card holders", and minor children of "green card holders" who are at least 21 years old. Subject to quotas.
  • Family: Third Preference — For married persons, of any age, who have at least one U.S. citizen parent. Subject to quotas.
  • Family: Fourth Preference — For siblings of U.S. citizens, where the U.S. citizen is at least 21 years old. Subject to quotas.

Battered Immigrants-Spouses or Children of US Citizens

Very specific rules apply in those situations where there has been spousal or child abuse in U.S. immigrant families. If you or an alien family member is being or was abused, seek information from an experienced immigration attorney.

Appeals and Motions to Reopen

If your application or petition has been denied, the denial may be appealed or a motion to reopen or reconsider can be filed. For assistance with appeals in any immigration matter, contact an immigration and naturalization attorney today.

How Can an Attorney Help Me?

As an experienced United States family immigration lawyer, we help clients complete their applications, gather necessary information, and prepare for necessary interviews. We are committed to making sure all paperwork is filed on time with the correct fees so that the process is not delayed. We also follow the progress of our clients' petitions and inform them of any change in status or developments that may affect the success of their petition.

For skilled assistance with family immigration, contact our law firm.