Law Offices of Stephen Santucci, PC

Free Consultation, Call Us Today


Se Habla EspaƱol

Lawyer helpful when marrying a someone from another country

For many people, falling in love and marrying that person is the most important part of their life. Imagine then the stress of falling in love with someone who is a resident of another country. When couples who are citizens of different countries decide to marry and live in the United States, they have to worry about more than just a seating arrangements and caterers. They need to worry about immigration issues as well.

The approach that will be taken depends on where and when they get married. If a couple marries in another country and then plans to come to the U.S., a temporary or permanent visa will need to be secured for the new spouse who is a foreign national. When a couple decides instead to marry in the U.S., a K-1 (fiancé(e)) visa is necessary. This is true whether it is an opposite or same-sex couple.

The paperwork that accompanies these applications can be complicated. If it is not filled out correctly, it can lead to a delay in entering the country. Immigration issues don’t end after a couple is married and has secured visas however. The USCIS immigration office will schedule an interview to make sure that the marriage is legitimate. In addition, it is possible that the spouse who is a foreign national could later seek an adjustment of status to secure a green card. Eventually the spouse could possibly become a U.S. citizen.

When it comes to immigration matters, because they are so complicated, for the best results it is a good idea to work with an immigration lawyer.

Source: New York Daily News, “Options in moving her same-sex partner to U.S.,” Allan Wernick, July 27, 2014 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Our Office

Staten Island Office
1200 South Avenue
Suite 201
Staten Island, NY 10314

Toll Free: 800-409-5201
Map & Directions

Queens Office
Forest Hills Tower
118-35 Queens Boulevard
Suite 400
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Toll Free: 800-409-5201
Toll Free: 800-409-5201
Map & Directions

Philadelphia Office
1500 Market Street
12th Floor, East Tower
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Map & Directions

Lakewood Office
212 2nd Street
Suite 401A
Lakewood, NJ 08701

Map & Directions