Law Offices of Stephen Santucci, PC

Free Consultation, Call Us Today


Se Habla EspaƱol

Why those looking to secure an R1 visa may need help

For most people, visas inevitably conjure up mental images of college students, tourists and highly skilled workers. While this is certainly accurate, it's important to understand that there are many other visas available outside of the spheres of education, tourism and employment.

For instance, were you aware that there exists a special type of visa allowing religious workers to enter the U.S.?

Known as the R1 visa, it allows religious workers -- meaning those authorized by an employing religious entity to conduct worship ceremonies and carry out other duties related to the entity -- to stay in the U.S. for an initial period of 30 months that can be extended for up to five years.

This essentially means that everyone from priests, nuns and ministers to other clergy members and high-ranking officials may seek admission to the U.S. via an R1 visa.

It's important to note, however, that applicants must satisfy a laundry list of conditions in order to be issued an R1 visa. For example, the applicant must have been a member of a legitimate non-profit religious organization for a minimum of two years and be offered a position to work in an affiliate of the same organization here in the U.S.

All of this isn't meant to be discouraging, but rather to drive home the point that securing an R1 visa -- or any other type of visa for that matter -- can prove to be exceptionally difficult for someone who is unfamiliar with the intricacies of U.S. immigration law.

It's precisely for this reason that anyone seeking admission for themselves or their family members to the U.S. should strongly consider consulting with an experienced legal professional who can examine their case, outline their options and help implement the necessary actions.

Please visit our website to learn more about how our firm can help with R1 visas or any other immigration law matter.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Our Office

Staten Island Office
1200 South Avenue
Suite 201
Staten Island, NY 10314

Toll Free: 800-409-5201
Map & Directions

Queens Office
Forest Hills Tower
118-35 Queens Boulevard
Suite 400
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Toll Free: 800-409-5201
Toll Free: 800-409-5201
Map & Directions

Philadelphia Office
1500 Market Street
12th Floor, East Tower
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Map & Directions

Lakewood Office
212 2nd Street
Suite 401A
Lakewood, NJ 08701

Map & Directions