Law Offices of Stephen Santucci, PC

Free Consultation, Call Us Today


Se Habla EspaƱol

What business travelers need to know about B-1 visas -- III

If you were to board any international flight to the United States, chances are very good that the majority of the passengers wouldn't be students continuing their studies at one of our nation's many universities or tourists embarking on a whirlwind tour of the Eastern Seaboard, but international business travelers.

Indeed, as we've discussed in previous posts, international business travel continues to thrive and, as a result, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services continues to issue large numbers of B-1 visas to those looking to enter the country for "business activities of a commercial or professional nature."

In today's post, we'll conclude our ongoing discussion of B-1 visas, examining those business-related activities that necessitate additional documentation.

Indeed, those whose job status is defined by USCIS as being either a personal or domestic servant must not only secure the underlying B-1 visa, but also an employment authorization document.

Specifically, those who fall into one of the following categories are subject to this requirement:

  • Personal or domestic servants either following to join or accompanying their employer who has already secured or is seeking to gain entry to the U.S. via multiple visa classifications (B, E, F, H, I, J, L).
  • Personal or domestic servants either following to join or accompanying their employer, who is a U.S. citizen who either has a home here, or is stationed abroad and home temporarily.

It's also important to note that personal or domestic servants looking to enter as a B-1 business visitor must also satisfy the following conditions:

  • They must have a minimum of 1 year of experience as a personal or domestic servant.
  • They must have a home outside the country that they do not intend to abandon.
  • They must have been employed by their current employer for at least 1 year and, if not, the employer must be able to demonstrate that they have regularly employed a personal or domestic servant in the same capacity while living abroad.

Consider speaking with an experienced legal professional as soon as possible if you have any questions or concerns relating to the procurement or extension of B-1 visas.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Our Office

Staten Island Office
1200 South Avenue
Suite 201
Staten Island, NY 10314

Toll Free: 800-409-5201
Map & Directions

Queens Office
Forest Hills Tower
118-35 Queens Boulevard
Suite 400
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Toll Free: 800-409-5201
Toll Free: 800-409-5201
Map & Directions

Philadelphia Office
1500 Market Street
12th Floor, East Tower
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Map & Directions

Lakewood Office
212 2nd Street
Suite 401A
Lakewood, NJ 08701

Map & Directions